We’re in the middle of the Covid-19 pandemic as I write this. My wife and I are healthy and almost completely isolated at home. We’re fortunate to be able to work remotely and so far haven’t experienced the financial worries that so many others are faced with. In other words, we’re doing fine. For the moment.
I sincerely hope you’re all well and able to get by. If you happen to be a first responder, or working in a hospital, or employed at some other “essential” task (like say, driving a delivery truck full of toilet paper), you have my undying gratitude.
Anyway, as promised, here’s the next installment in my layout build saga. Still no actual layout but the prep work continues apace. This month I’ll go over the fitting out of my new workshop. It has turned into a terrific space that I’m really happy with. As you can see from the photo above, it’s a big improvement over what I had before.
My new under-layout workbench. Where everything is organized and within easy reach.
I didn’t do much modeling over the summer. I’d been increasingly dissatisfied with my little workshop and storage system. A big issue was the fact that I never seemed to have the correct paint, detail part, styrene thickness, etc. when I needed it. Earlier I had begun a process to list everything I thought I should have “in stock” but while I was prepared to spend the money for all this new stuff, I had nowhere to put it.
With that in mind, I made a few changes…
My current workbench, built into one corner of my studio apartment.
Like most young adults over the course of their first 12 years out of the nest, my living situation has gone from spacious and well furnished (parents house), to a couple of very old, very small, attic one-bedroom’s in century old houses (one of which was shared with a girlfriend and pet lizard, the other with a legion of mold), to my current situation, a beautiful (albeit also small) studio in the center of a bustling and iconic New England town. Continue reading