I’m slowly working my way towards being able to lay track on my model railroad. One big step that I’d been putting off due to the finicky nature of getting it right, was final assembly on all the foam baseboards. Since I live in an apartment and the layout will eventually need to move, the baseboard is divided into three equal sections. That creates two joints that will have many tracks and a large expanse of “water” spanning them. I have a little experience building modules, and I know that if the joints have large gaps and don’t line up vertically, it’s a huge headache later in the building process, so I’m trying to get everything as tight as possible from the very beginning.
After a frustrating, but important and ultimately successful couple of months, I’ve finished installing the canopy lighting on the layout. I used two parallel runs of LED light strips operating off of their own dedicated power supply to provide consistent illumination to the entire layout. It took some experimentation, but now that it’s done I’m happy with the result.
Work on my little model railroad has been progressing slowly and sporadically, but progressing nevertheless. Not long ago I transferred the track plan full size onto the foam insulation panels that I’m using as a base. Continue reading