HO scale Model Railroading has come a long way in the last decade or so. The fidelity and quality of the products available to the average modeler is pretty staggering. However, there are still two major weak points on every single locomotive and piece of rolling stock: Couplers and wheels.
Hey everyone. In case you haven’t already noticed the new plugin on the right side of the page, Milepost 15 is now on Facebook at: http://www.facebook.com/milepost15. I’ll be using the Facebook page to share daily (or near-daily) updates on whatever projects I happen to be working on as well as the occasional one-off trackside photo and other quick things that don’t require an entire blog post. In-depth posts will continue here same as they always have, which is never as often as I’d like, but I do have some interesting stuff coming up over the next few months, so stay tuned!
MCER 1750 basks in the warm June sun.
As part of the Northeast/New England RPM Meet in Collinsville, CT there are a number of tours available to participants. This year I went to Palmer, MA for the Mass Central Railroad’s open house. Lighting was a little tough since we was there at high noon on a gorgeous June 1st, but I did my best to get a few shots of the equipment and facility Continue reading
The foam diorama I created to test my ideas. It matches the profile of the layout bases. The square hole is where the switch machine will be mounted.
In order to better visualize how my layout plan will work, I built a small diorama to test my ideas. It’s the same thickness as the layout baseboards (a 1″ piece of foam with a 2″ piece of foam on top where the track is and a 3/4″ piece of foam for the water, so the maximum thickness is 3″, minimum thickness is 1 3/4″). This will allow me to test my switch machine mounting system, turnout construction and placement, sub-roadbed, and scenery techniques. Read on to see what I’ve done so far.
The front pilot of #7070 with the right ditch light and and step light lit via a 9v battery.
One thing that I’ve wanted to do with the BNSF SD40-2’s from the very beginning was to light them as completely as possible. To me, that means more than just the usual ditch light, head light and reverse light. My goal is to have working step lights; truck lights; front, rear and side walkway lights; number board lights and cab interior lighting. This has slowed construction considerably and is going to create a mess of wiring inside the shell, but judging by this latest progress photo, I think it will be worth the effort.