Over the last few months I’ve finished detailing the Gunderson Twin-Stacks. This last bit of work focused primarily on the trucks, couplers and end walkways though I made a few modifications elsewhere as well. Continue reading
I was looking back through my old posts and realized that I’d never written about the intermodal cars I’ve been building off-and-on for the last few years. I recently started working on them again and though I’ve posted a lot of grab shots to Facebook, I figured it was about time I wrote a little something as well. Continue reading
On November 19, 2007 I wrote this post about the model of SNCT #101 that I was just starting to build. Almost seven(!) years later it’s finally done. Granted, most of that time I wasn’t working on it. I got distracted by other projects and life in general, but still, there’s probably at least a good year or two worth of regular work sessions in this model and for the most part I’m pretty happy with how it turned out.
One thing that I’ve wanted to do with the BNSF SD40-2’s from the very beginning was to light them as completely as possible. To me, that means more than just the usual ditch light, head light and reverse light. My goal is to have working step lights; truck lights; front, rear and side walkway lights; number board lights and cab interior lighting. This has slowed construction considerably and is going to create a mess of wiring inside the shell, but judging by this latest progress photo, I think it will be worth the effort.
Work on my little model railroad has been progressing slowly and sporadically, but progressing nevertheless. Not long ago I transferred the track plan full size onto the foam insulation panels that I’m using as a base. Continue reading
After much hesitation, many false starts and a good deal of experimentation, I finally completed the wiring in my model of Seattle & North Coast F7A No. 101. Continue reading
I’ve been waiting all my life (and very patiently I might add) for a high quality HO SD40-2 with the correct bolster spacing. The Kato models come close, but it’s hard to find undecs and I’ve come to discover that they aren’t terribly easy to modify. Railflyer is another option, but their models are at least another year away and I need something to keep my busy now… So, I’ve started scratchbuilding my own. Continue reading
You may remember the beginnings of this project. I posted about it way back here. It didn’t actually take me 3 years and change to finish it. But it was sitting around waiting for paint for quite awhile. My excuses are that I didn’t have a paint booth until the last year or so and other projects took precedence. It’s done now though. See below for some more views. Continue reading
For something like the 6th year in a row I attended the Amherst Railway Society’s Big Railroad Hobby Show in West Springfield, MA. Again I was at the New England Railroad Prototype Modelers table showing off some models. As always I spent way too much money. It was a nice show though, we had a good location in a decent, somewhat quiet corner of the Mallory Complex. Continue reading to see some of the models I had on display. Continue reading
Well, it has certainly been quite awhile since I last posted any updates. I do have a number of excuses though. I moved, I got a new job, I’m currently helping remodel a basement for a model railroad (not mine, unfortunately) the list actually goes on. I have been doing some modeling as well now that it’s no longer pleasant to be outside, what with the cold and the dark and all that. These photo’s are a little old, but I feel they deserve a more in depth explanation. Continue reading