Building a Model Railroad – Part 4: Setting up the workshop.
We’re in the middle of the Covid-19 pandemic as I write this. My wife and I are healthy and almost completely isolated at home. We’re fortunate to be able to work remotely and so far haven’t experienced the financial worries that so many others are faced with. In other words, we’re doing fine. For the moment.
I sincerely hope you’re all well and able to get by. If you happen to be a first responder, or working in a hospital, or employed at some other “essential” task (like say, driving a delivery truck full of toilet paper), you have my undying gratitude.
Anyway, as promised, here’s the next installment in my layout build saga. Still no actual layout but the prep work continues apace. This month I’ll go over the fitting out of my new workshop. It has turned into a terrific space that I’m really happy with. As you can see from the photo above, it’s a big improvement over what I had before.
Having mostly finished the space by this point, it was time to start in on the details. One issue with being in the basement is that the WiFi reception isn’t quite as good as it is upstairs. Plus, our town has residential fiber and it seemed a crime to waste those speeds. So first thing I did was run some CAT 6 to the spot where my computer would go.
With that done, I put up some shelving.
With the shelves and work tables complete, it was time to vent the spray booth.
Since this workshop will also be where my computer lives, I wanted to get that set up next so I could listen to music while I finished building everything else. This also proved to be a good decision as having a nice workstation has been pretty clutch for working remotely.
I’ve had some HobbyZone organizers for a long time and find them to be really useful. The lower shelf was specifically sized for them but I didn’t have nearly enough, so I ordered quite a few more.
The floor around the workbenches is particularly bad. Since I had to get some new, taller chairs anyway, I took the opportunity to purchase these rubber roller blade wheels. They make it a lot easier to roll over the bumps and undulations in the concrete. They also won’t scrape the floor paint.
With that, all I had left to do was move everything downstairs and organize it appropriately. This took a couple of weeks but I’m happy with how it turned out. Everything is within arms reach and I still have plenty of room to accumulate more stuff.
There you have it. I’ve been using this space for a number of weeks now and it’s been great. I’m already making progress on a number of modeling projects. There aren’t many places I’d rather be isolated away at.
Now that I’m home 24/7 and have been able to wrap up a few other house projects I’m planning to go all-out on the rest of the basement through April and into the first part of May. Hanging the backdrop and doing one or two other things will require assistance from some friends. As soon as social distancing recommendations are lifted I want to be ready to proceed.