And now for something completely different…

chris_slemp_mack_ch613-1.jpg
My Herpa/Promotex Mack CH613

Taking a break from trains, I recently spent some time modifying and detailing a Herpa/Promotex Mack CH613. The model is already very nice, but some after-market parts and a few scratchbuilt items really make it shine.

chris_slemp_mack_ch613-5.jpg
A number of parts were scratchbuilt or purchased from other manufacturers.

I used parts from a number of different manufacturers, the mirrors, grill, crossover platform and steps, quarter fenders and mudflaps are all from Plano. The stack heat shield and cab steps are from Masterbilt Models. The fifth wheel and toolbox are from Dennis Aust (yest I’m aware that the toolbox is upside down), the brake cables are from Stewart and the windshield wipers are from A-Line.

chris_slemp_mack_ch613-2.jpg
The hoses are a little over sized, but they give he right effect.

I scratchbuilt the exhaust stack from two different sizes of brass rod. The air tanks are styrene rod turned in a Dremel, and the battery box was cut out of two laminated pieces of .040” styrene. The Herpa fuel tanks were modified by removing the molded on steps leaving small nubs where the Masterbilt Models steps could fit. The cab visor is a scrap piece of Cannon & Company treadplate that’s been cut and formed to shape.

chris_slemp_mack_ch613-3.jpg
The engine comes with the Herpa model, but I painted it to add some detail.

I didn’t do much to the engine as the Herpa piece is already quite nice. I did paint it black though, and highlighted the hoses with aluminum paint. It’s not perfect, but I don’t plan on leaving the hood open on this model, so it wasn’t really necessary to do at all. The handrails are hand bent lengths of .008” brass wire that’s been painted.

chris_slemp_mack_ch613-4.jpg
Here you can clearly see the Masterbilt Models steps, and the scratchbuilt air tanks and battery box.

I painted the body Tamiya Blue. The trim, hubs, handrails, stack, etc. were all painted with Alclad II Chrome, which looks really nice when airbrushed over a properly applied base coat. The frame was painted Model Flex Black, a brand of paint I will not be using again. It just didn’t cover well. I really haven’t weathered this model at all, I did drybrush a bit of black onto the top of the stack, but otherwise left everything as is. I may come back later and airbrush a light coat of dust on the underside, but we’ll see. This is an owner-operator vehicle, and the setting is late summer early fall, so I would expect it to be fairly clean and well maintained. Anyway, this was a nice distraction that will definitely have a place on my future layout. I’ve got a bunch of other Herpa trucks sitting in a box that I’ll have to work on sometime in the future.

Chris

Advertisements

4 thoughts on “And now for something completely different…

  1. I realize that this is a really old thread but I just stumbled upon this website. One thing I have done to a few of mine is add the steerable wheel kit. It really makes a truck model pop when you put a driver in there and the wheels are turned. You could have him crankin’ around a corner on your layout or backing into a dock while straightening the truck out. Just a suggestion to make an already AWESOME model go the next step. Thanks for posting this!

Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in:

WordPress.com Logo

You are commenting using your WordPress.com account. Log Out / Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out / Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out / Change )

Google+ photo

You are commenting using your Google+ account. Log Out / Change )

Connecting to %s